[mac4theblind] Re: External hard drive problem

  • From: Edward Redfern <edwardredfern@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 21:56:47 +0100

First off,

to assess a drive for data read / write, it is useful to determine whether the
drive has come from a windows PC. if so, the main format would be ntfS if used
with recent windows OS configurations. or if the drive is new, then it's
default format is ntfs.

a FAT-32 drive can be supported in both read and write mode within OS X.

Firstly, as sarah highlights, when your hard drive is mounted to the desktop,
select it and  perform COMMAND I. this is the "get info" command. This will
tell you the drive format, also if the drive is locked or set read only, which
I doubt either would be configured.

If the drive is NTFS configured and you are trying to grab data from it, you
will need to use a program like Paragon NTFS for Mac OS 10 or Tuxera ntFS 2012,
either of which are successful drive mounting tools and reasonably priced if
you're managing both windows and mac systems.

your other option in this case is mounting your drive in VMWare under windows
and performing drive operations such as cloning, formatting, etc from there.

Disk utility is a very useful drive kit which needs a little understanding for
the novice user.

lew