[mac4theblind] BrailleTouch

  • From: Chris H <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:04:00 +0000

Sorry for the cross posting, but I would like to share this special announcement with you all.

Greetings!

Thank you for your interest in BrailleTouch, and for signing up for the BrailleTouch email list. I am very excited to announce that BrailleTouch will be available on the App Store on Thu Jan 31 worldwide. We offer a free trial version, which lets you type in braille on your touchscreen and hear the letters or words spoken as you type them. If you like BrailleTouch and find it useful, you can purchase a full upgrade from the app which will allow you to send text messages, tweets, and emails directly from the touchscreen braille keyboard. You can also copy the text you type in braille and paste it into any other app on your iPhone.

The trial version of BrailleTouch is free to download from the App Store. The full upgrade is available for US$20 as an In-App Purchase. However, in appreciation of the overwhelming support we have received from the blind community, we are offering the full version for US$15 through Sunday February 3. We would like to express our gratitude to all of the generous volunteers who tested the app, to Accessible Devices, AppleVis, and Macneticos for their podcasts, and to everyone who has emailed us and posted on the VIphone and AppleVis forums and Twitter with helpful feedback.

You can read more about BrailleTouch including a User Guide and FAQ at our website: http://brailletouchapp.com/

The initial version of BrailleTouch supports Grade 1 uncontracted braille, based on the North American English standards. It includes upper and lower case letters, numbers, and most punctuation. Grade 2 contracted braille is our top priority for a future upgrade. We also hope to be able to support languages other than English in the future. BrailleTouch requires iOS version 5 or later, and will run on iPhone 3Gs or later and iPod touch 3rd generation or later. We recommend using a case with your iPhone or iPod touch, as this will help you grip the phone while typing and will keep you from covering the speaker on the iPhone under the Home button with your hand. If you use headphones, we recommend a right-angle headphone plug or Bluetooth headphones.

Feel free to forward this email to anyone you know who may be interested. This is a no-reply email address. We welcome any questions, comments, or feedback you may have. When the app comes out, we would love to hear your story about how you use BrailleTouch. You can contact us at: http://brailletouchapp.com/contact.html

Many braille instructors have contacted us about using BrailleTouch as a teaching tool. We hope the free version of BrailleTouch is helpful for learning the six-key braille keyboard. If you are a braille instructor or student, please let us know your experience using BrailleTouch.

We hope you like BrailleTouch and find it useful. Please download the free version on Thursday and try it before you buy it. And let us know what you think!

--

Christopher Hallsworth