Re: extensions for luajit

  • From: steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:03:50 +0200

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Francesco <francesco.bbt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> May be that one way to obtain the delayed evaluation is to create a a new
> type of value in the VM, a delayed function (or lazy value). When such a
> value appear in an expression its value should be evaluated by calling the
> underlying function.

I share Francesco's concern with making a simple variable access
trigger an arbitrarily complex operation. It is like a global
property, and as such can be inefficiently done with _G and __index.

What do we lose from having to say () ?  That is explicit and clear.
I understand that the idea is to get lazy evaluation, but I think it
could be confusing to others.

steve d.