Re: Using luajit runtime for non-lua languages

  • From: Tim Mensch <tim-luajit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 23:25:23 -0700

On 2/2/2013 8:02 PM, Tim Caswell wrote:
I'd rather not compile to lua because then I need a lua compiler in addition to a jack compiler.

I don't have numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that ALL of LuaJIT is less than 1/10 the weight of the minimal LLVM -- given that the LLVM download is 12Mb and the zipped LuaJIT source (including core libraries!) comes to 0.75Mb.

The LuaJIT Lua compile is so fast that you're not likely to see it show up on profiling. It seems like "more work," but I'd wager it would be a LOT more man-hours to achieve anywhere near the performance even counting the "extra" compile step.

Tim