Re: Projects I may be willing to sponsor - FFI Array Sum versus native table results

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1412@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:07:30 +0100

Joe Ellsworth wrote:
> That is super cool.  I would never have come up with the casting
> trick from the examples currently on the site.

But it's not helpful advice. It does NOT make sense to create
scalar cdata values. Since the native number type of Lua is a
double, all cdata doubles are eventually converted (on access or
arithmetic operations) to Lua numbers, anyway.

Also, please ... everyone ... use local variables in benchmarks.

Umm, and ... this benchmark proves very little. And it doesn't
help in deciding for a toolchain at all, unless the targeted
application does exactly one thing: summing up an array of doubles
in the L3 cache (<8MB). It's only measuring cache bandwidth,
nothing else.