Re: Benchmark source code (http://luajit.org/performance.html)

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1206@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:52:51 +0200

Paulo Matias wrote:
> Mike, It would be very interesting if you could publish the exact
> source code used for the benchmarks in the LuaJIT website.

Sure, whenever I get around to it.

> I always was curious, for example, if you used FFI native arrays or
> structs to speed up any benchmarks, or if the code run by the Lua and
> LuaJIT executables are exactly the same. Well, in the SciMark
> benchmark, whose source code you published, you used FFI, so I thought
> you may also have used it in another benchmarks.

None of the benchmarks shown use the FFI, as I wanted a direct
comparison of the same code with Lua. It's not that useful to know
whether LuaJIT is 50x or 70x faster than Lua for scientific
computing. In fact, it's a no-brainer to use LuaJIT for that.

It would be more interesting to show (non-)FFI versions, when
comparing to other languages, particularly C or Java. But that
would open up another can of worms ...

> I know most of the benchmarks are derived from Shootout, but they
> don't have LuaJIT in their comparison anymore, and your code may be
> different from the Lua benchmarks listed there.

AFAIR it's the same code that's still in the CVS there.