Re: A crash test case for LuaJIT 2.1

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1401@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:16:07 +0100

Szabó Antal wrote:
> 2014/1/17 Mike Pall <mike-1401@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > A problem with trace stitching was fixed yesterday and that indeed
> > caused a crash with your test case.
>
> Now that it came up, can you tell me/us about trace stitching? What does it
> do?

LuaJIT 2.1 adds a trace stitching feature which allows traces to
stop at a classic C function or a not-compiled built-in, return to
the interpreter, run the C function or built-in and then start a
new trace after it returns.

This is not particularly efficient, but it avoids trace aborts due
to NYI functions, which would previously force the whole code path
around such a function to be interpreted.