[louisianaleps] a nice day at Cooter's Bog, Kisatchie NF

  • From: Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, native@xxxxxxxxxx, macvidrine@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

I was able to get away and send a few hours at Cooter's Bog today, Saturday,
Aug. 31, 2013. The area is very green. Although not as many flowers as in June,
there were sufficient nectar sources, mostly a member of the liatris family
that was blooming in many of the open areas under the pines. There were alot of
butterflies about, primarily Spicebush STs, Cloudless Suls, Little Yellows and
Georgia Satyrs. I ended up with 20 species. Also saw two bobcats and at least
two of the red-cockaded woodpeckers that live there in that bog. It was hot but
still an enjoyable day.

1 Pipevine ST
1 E. Tiger ST
17 Spicebush ST
6 Palamedes ST
10+ Cloudless Suls (this butterfly was seen everywhere along the roads as I
drove to this bog, then over to Leo's Bog and back again)
20+ Little Yellows (same with this sulphur)
10 Gray HS
8 E. Tailed Bls
3 Little Metalmarks (I didn't see any until after 1:00 when suddenly I saw
three within 10  minutes as I was walking to my car)
2 Pearl Cres
1 Goatweed LW
44 Ga. Satyrs (no, that isn't a typo, lots of them)
3 Caro. Satyrs
3 Common Wood Nymphs
1 Silver-spotted Sk
1 Hoary Edge
2 So. CW
1 Swarthy Sk
1 Whirlabout
2 Twin-spot Sk

As indicated, I drove to Leo's Bog, but it was empty. I only saw 1 Twin-spot
Sk.