[louisianaleps] Caddo Parish Butterflies

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisiana Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:35:33 -0700 (PDT)

Rosemary Seidler and I butterflied Eddie Jones Park in Caddo Parish (NW corner
of the state) today.  It was a very good day for butterflies.  We saw a total
of
35 species in 2.5 hrs including a boardered patch.  This is my first
observation
of this species in Louisiana.  I see no record of this species in Louisiana in
the Lepidoptrists' Society Season Summary.  I will submit this one with a
photo.  Normally we see many southern pearly-eyes during the summer in this
area, but this summer we had not seen one until today.  We also had a rarely
seen great purple hairstreak which is always a beautiful butterfly.

Jeff Trahan
Shreveport

1                Sachem
2                Common Checkered-Skipper
10              Clouded Skipper
3                Southern Skipperling
5                Fiery Skipper
2                Northern Broken-Dash
1                Dun Skipper
1                Eufala Skipper
1                Great Purple Hairstreak
5                Gray Hairstreak
42              Red-banded Hairstreak
3                Eastern Tailed-Blue
3                Spring Azure
1                American Snout
43              Gulf Fritillary
2                Variegated Fritillary
1                Bordered Patch
1                Silvery Checkerspot
1                Phaon   Crescent
58              Pearl   Crescent
1                Question Mark
1                Red Admiral
23              Common Buckeye
3                Goatweed Leafwing
1                Hackberry Emperor
1                Southern Pearly-Eye
46              Gemmed Satyr
2                Carolina Satyr
1                Monarch
1                Giant Swallowtail
1                Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
1                Orange Sulphur
2                Cloudless Sulphur
29              Little Yellow
4                Dainty Sulphur