[louisianaleps] Butterflies at Dove Field Rec Area

  • From: Dave Patton <davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Charles Lyon <lyon5516@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Marks, Craig" <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>, Marty Floyd <progne99@xxxxxxx>, "Muth, David" <MuthD@xxxxxxx>, Phillip Wallace <wallap424@xxxxxxxxx>, "Seidler, Rosemary" <rseidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>, "Trahan, Jeff" <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:27:32 -0500

I decided whether to go west or east on I-10 when I got to the entrance
ramp. Two hours driving west to Vernon Parish was not real appealing, but I
wanted to give the Dove Field Rec Area another visit before the verbena
played out. It turned out to be a good choice. Even better when I got home
and realized a strange skipper I left as unknown in the field looks like a
Dusky Roadside-skipper. A new one I have been hoping for.
Craig Marks' hunch that there could be Meske's Skippers in the Vernon
District of Kisatchie proved right as well. I got to the stretch of road
that has been planted with verbena and got one within 15 minutes. I found a
second one about 200 feet away with different underwing marks. I was not
even thinking of Little Metalmarks when one landed in front of me. A quick
photo and it was gone. The Southern Cloudywings were in fine form. Their
markings and edges were really sharp and bright.
As noted earlier in the week, the big 2 acre patch of verbena has been
plowed under and planted with grass for game birds. That would have been
fun to walk through. List below and a few photos:

Dove Field Rec Area, Kisatchie Nat Forest
June 14, 2015, Vernon Parish

Silver-spotted Skipper - 6
Am Lady - 2
E Tailed Blue - 1