[londonlua] Next meetup - 17 October

  • From: Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: londonlua@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:02:19 +0100

Hope you all had a good summer!

Our next meetup is on Thursday 17 October. And we will have another
one at the end of October/beginning of November too, more details
soon.

Sign up here
http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/home/lua-the-worlds-most-infuriating-language

Lua: the world's most infuriating language

When first confronted with Lua an experienced programmer (like me!)
finds themselves infuriated by the languages little differences and
hopes that can dismiss it as not worth learning :-) Later they find
themselves infuriated to learn that they can't dismiss it: Lua is just
too fast, too useful and too flexible. This talk will look at my
experience of learning Lua and using it to send a high-altitude
balloon into the stratosphere and build CloudFlare's new low latency
Web Application Firewall.

John Graham-Cumming is a computer programmer and author. He studied
mathematics and computation at Oxford and stayed for a doctorate in
computer security. As a programmer he has worked in Silicon Valley and
New York, the UK, Germany and France and currently works at
CloudFlare. His open source POPFile program won a Jolt Productivity
Award in 2004.

He is the author of a travel book for scientists published in 2009
called The Geek Atlas and has written articles for The Times, The
Guardian, The Sunday Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, New Scientist
and other publications.