[lit-ideas] totemic allegiances of superheroes (was: On Kudos)

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:52:39 -0400

DR: I assumed people knew that "Cow" is still pronounced "cu"
or "coo" in some parts of Scotland.

EY: And in German. This extraordinary disquisition has led me to ponder
the totemic allegiances of superheroes. These heroes and antiheroes take
their names from spiders, bats, wolves, cats, etc.

But where is mighty Cow Man? Come to save us from overgrown pastures? Or
powerful Squirrel Woman, whose assistance is so easily summoned by
making click-clucking sounds? Where is Butterfly Man, the impulsive
defender of drag queens? And what fierce hand has silenced Bunny Man, so
efficient at procreation? Or Ornamental Carp Woman, capable of growing
to a size that matches her container? Ah but where are the snows of
yesteryear?