[lit-ideas] Re: the shelter of routine

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 02:27:37 -0400

On 10/7/2010 4:45 AM, John McCreery wrote:
Routine is what protects us from what we don't
know.

Or things we don't know that we don't know. My first job was as a busboy in a busy restaurant and later, at same establishment, as a waiter and a sous chef. Each step in that trade involved the discovery of my ignorance, more than that, the realization of how stupid I was. Awareness of my overwhelming slow-wittedness began to fade after about a month at each new job, and I'd eventually forget that terrible feeling of being an utter idiot. Later jobs in different trades renewed the experience of my innate stupidity, only in different ways. I've been doing the same thing for a decade now and have completely forgotten that inner dunce, waiting to emerge should a new skill set be demanded of me. Until that happens, I'll probably never have to face how stupid I am.