[lit-ideas] taut

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:47:03 -0400 (EDT)

it would be interesting, I surmise, instead of wating time in Eichmann' philology, to consider different approaches. It may be useufl to look at relevance theories, many of those noted that tautolgies od serve a relevant role (in the theoretical sense) 'boys are boys' is tautological and exactly for that reasons triggers (causes) the hearer to look at different interpreetations. Note that all tautologies are logically equivalent, but Eichmann could *not* answer the judge with "two is two"--

Perhaps the Griceans ought to reflect on their ethical maxims....

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

This to note that this is the exact title of the  painting:

at:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Lastseefather.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Frederick_Yeames

And  When Did You Last See Your Father?

"The oil-on-canvas picture,  painted in 1878, depicts a scene in an
imaginary Royalist household during the  English Civil War."

"The Parliamentarians [Roundheads. JLS] have taken over the house and
QUESTION the son about his Royalist [Cavalier. JLS] father."

"And when did you last see your father?"

"Yeames was inspired to paint the picture to show the

[Kantian. JLS] crises that could arise from the natural

frankness of young children."

---- Who are not yet mature to digest Aristotle's Ethica Nichomachea and
are still Kantian at heart.

"Here, IF the boy *tells the truth* he will endanger his father,

but

IF he lies he will

go against the ideal of honesty undoubtedly instilled in him by his
parents."

Horrible trilemma!

"The boy in the pictures is based on Thomas Gainsborough's painting The
Blue Boy."

"It was modelled by Yeames' nephew, James Lambe Yeames."

"Behind the boy, a sobbing little girl,"

-- who is ARISTOTELIAN, like Geary, i.e. teleological.

"probably the daughter, waits her turn to be questioned. The girl was
based on Yeames' niece, Mary Yeames."

"At the back of the hall the mother and elder daughter wait anxiously on
the boy's reply."

-- The elder daughter is Kantian, the mother is Aristotelian.

"The scene is neutral."

"While the innocence of the boy is emphasized by his blond hair, open
expression and blue suit,"

"the questioners are also treated sympathically;"

--- because he is Aristotelian. The only Kantian in the picture is the  boy
and the Absent Father.

"the main interrogator has a friendly"

teleological

"expression and the sergeant with the little girl has his arm on her
shoulder as if comforting her. The painting is now held at the Walker Art
Gallery, Liverpool. Madame Tussauds in London has a life-size waxwork tableau of
the scene, faithfully reproduced from the painting."

but made of wax.

Yours,

J. L. Speranza
Bordighera

And When Did You Last See Your  Father?

And When Did You Last See Your Father? (1878)
The  oil-on-canvas picture, painted in 1878, depicts a scene in an
imaginary Royalist  household during the English Civil War. The Parliamentarians
have taken over the  house and question the son about his Royalist father.
Yeames was inspired to  paint the picture to show the crises that could arise
from the natural frankness  of young children. Here, if the boy tells the
truth he will endanger his father,  but if he lies he will go against the ideal
of honesty undoubtedly instilled in  him by his parents.
The boy in the pictures is based on Thomas Gainsborough's  painting The
Blue Boy. It was modelled by Yeames' nephew, James Lambe Yeames.  Behind the
boy, a sobbing little girl, probably the daughter, waits her turn to  be
questioned. The girl was based on Yeames' niece, Mary Yeames. At the back of
the
hall the mother and elder daughter wait anxiously on the boy's reply. The
scene is neutral: while the innocence of the boy is emphasized by his blond
hair, open expression and blue suit, the questioners are also treated
sympathically; the main interrogator has a friendly expression and the sergeant
with the little girl has his arm on her shoulder as if comforting her. The
painting is now held at the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. Madame Tussauds
in  London has a life-size waxwork tableau of the scene, faithfully
reproduced from  the painting.

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)