[lit-ideas] Re: still more on Bush & Chirac

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 07:35:20 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Nov 2, 2004 2:10 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] still more on Bush & Chirac

Oddly, Eric fails to address my rather detailed refutation of his claim=20
that somehow Chirac and/or the UN's financial finagling had "set the=20
stage" for the US invasion of Iraq. I guess he must have forgotten.
=09The single fact that renders all Eric's considerations is, of course,=20
that the US invasion was not about Sadaam, not about any real or=20
alleged misdeeds on his part, and certainly not about Sadaam's=20
(non-existent) ties to al-Qaeda and/or his (non-existent) WMD's. It was=20
about the fact that Bush had decided to invade Iraq for his own private=20
benefit, well before 9/11. The "grounds" for the invasion were invented=20
later, by browbeating the US Intelligence services until they found=20
something vaguely resembling evidence, evidence which was then doctored=20
by the Roves and Wolfowitzes in the Bush camp until it bore only the=20
slightest resemblance to actual fact.

=09Here's yet another piece that confirms this view :=20
http://www.gnn.tv/articles/article.php?id=3D761

Two years before 9/11, candidate Bush was already talking privately=20
about attacking Iraq, according to his former ghost writer

Houston: Two years before the September 11 attacks, presidential=20
candidate George W. Bush was already talking privately about the=20
political benefits of attacking Iraq, according to his former ghost=20
writer, who held many conversations with then-Texas Governor Bush in=20
preparation for a planned autobiography.

  =93He was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999,=94 said author and=20
journalist Mickey Herskowitz. =93It was on his mind. He said to me: =91One=
=20
of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a=20
commander-in-chief.=92 And he said, =91My father had all this political=20
capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted=20
it.=92 He said, =91If I have a chance to invade=85.if I had that much=20
capital, I=92m not going to waste it. I=92m going to get everything passed=
=20
that I want to get passed and I=92m going to have a successful=20
presidency.=94

A.A. This is consistent with Frontline last night.  Bush's plans for Iraq l=
ong predate 9/11.  Bush and Wolfowitz were both into "transformation"; Wolf=
owitz into transforming the military into a technologically intensive, low =
human factor operation, and Bush into transforming the country into his vis=
ion of a right wing, Christian dominated country.  He wants, as Frontline s=
aid, to leave a big footprint.

Regarding the military, so enamored were Bush and Wolfowitz of their techno=
logical ability that they originally wanted to go into Baghdad with 50,000 =
boots on the ground.  Baghdad is roughly the size and population of NYC.  T=
hat would be like the NYPD trying to subdue the city.  They finally raised =
the entire total to something like 140,000 soldiers.  The Army all but laug=
hed at him, told him it was impossible, but they got their way.  Regarding =
Afghanistan, we sent a relative handful of special ops forces into Afghanis=
tan.  The rest was technology.  It worked as far as it worked, rousted out =
the Taliban, with the net result that bin Laden escaped and the Taliban hav=
e made a significant comeback.

Bush is also a dirty street fighter when it comes to politics.  During the =
election for the governor of Texas his campaign aired commercials that crim=
e in Texas under Ann Richardson was up, when in fact it was down.  The lies=
, essentially, stuck, and she lost.

Andy Amago

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)