[lit-ideas] speaking of omissions

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Stone" <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:21:10 -0400

When I read a book, which is quite frequently, I almost always catch
at least one 'error' in the copy : a word left out, a letter dropped
or something small like that.

I am currently reading a Robin Cook book called "Crisis" that I bought
on a remainder as a hardback last week. I think it was about 5.99 or
something silly like that. Anyway, it's a really good book -- for what
it is, a medical/thriller/mystery doodad, but the copy is appalling.
I've counted SEVEN errors so far and I'm only 2/3 through. And these
are not small errors that may be overlooked. It's almost as if they
didn't proof it enough. A character is referred to as another
character's name within the space of a paragraph. Words are missing.
Etc. Does anyone "in the know" have any info as to whether 'mistakes'
like these would cause a hurried reprint in which case the 'old' run
is immediately remaindered? I've read other Cook books (sic) and they
were exquisitely edited.

just wandering,