[lit-ideas] Re: some polls

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:22:11 -0500

Steve: the Lower East Side NYC where seasonally
homeless teens would gather with their emaciated dogs to
keep them company as they sat on sidewalks begging for spare
change...guess they wouldn't be polled though.

Eric: You mean the seasonal junkies who used to live in
Tompkins Square Park before the redesign in the '90s? I met
several when I lived near the park. They hopped trains and
hitched about the country. NYC for the summer, New Orleans
for the winter, Seattle as an alternative. They followed the
seasons, and of course their heroin supply.

I also got to know an older homeless couple -- Molly and
Saigon -- who slept under a plastic sheet in Tompkins Park.
Saigon was a wiry black man who claimed to be a Vietnam vet
and Molly was an older white woman with leg problems. The
kept a menagerie: several dogs and cats. Molly would pack up
their "tent" into a shopping cart, tie the animals to the
cart, and set up near Cooper Union to beg.

Molly and Saigon should have been hired for the morning
weather for local TV. Show them emerging from their plastic
shelter. Have them read the weather from a teleprompter.
Their color commentary would have been priceless ... since
they knew the weather better than anyone.

After the park was redesigned, the junkies disappeared and
the homeless people went, or were sent ... who knows where.