[lit-ideas] Re: some Hitchens to raise ire

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:07:55 -0400

Or it will bleed us dry, the way OBL did with the Soviets said he will to
do with us.  The Iraq war is a rock and a hard place.  Can't leave, can't
stay.  Either way we lose.  The best option is the one with the smallest
losses.  There are no gains. In the meantime, it's costing a lot of money
and taking up a lot of military resources, and what are getting for it
besides a good thrashing?  If it was winnable, we would have won it by now.

> That's one of the basic rules of war. When one's opponents retreat,
> you advance and attack. If we leave, the consequences for Iraq will
> be much worse than if we stay until the Iraqis can adequately defend
> themselves.

It didn't apply when we pulled out of Vietnam.  The irony is that there
won't be peace until the occupiers pull out.  I can't imagine that OBL is
particularly bothered by what happens to the Iraqis, but Iraq is now a
perfect training ground for his organization.