[lit-ideas] sex slavery, Canada (more)

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 21:41:37 -0700

http://www.walnet.org/csis/news/vancouver_98/province-980303.html

Paul,
A local "little" report that sounds a lot like raids in the LA area. But
it's all over.  The subject may well be sensationalized by the media, but
more than any other topic--that I don't know.

Most links I turned up focused on trafficking from Eastern Europe, as Judy
said. This may reflect the relatively easy linguistic access, though,
compared to Asian villagers. Nick Kristoff of the NYT has written
extensively on sex trafficking in Cambodia, and throughout SE Asia. If
anyone wants to read these columns (available through Select), ask me.

The more I hear about global trade, the worse it seems for workers of all
kinds, just about everywhere. Organ harvesting...Jeez.  Can we stop now?

Carol