[lit-ideas] separation of church and what???

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 00:50:16 EST

Someone please explain to me the difference between this and what the
radical Shiites want to cause to happen in Iraq?   (And who knew Jeb  Bush was
convert to Catholicism??)  Don't get me wrong -- I've flirted  with Catholicism
myself and there are many worthy and beautiful aspects to it,  but .....  oh
never mind -- Mike will say it for me.

Julie Krueger
getting a little scared now....

_http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060301/ap_on_re_us/catholic_town&printer=1;_ylt=
AmX1_Ppg9Us_Ycub1tPmYgNH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE_
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060301/ap_on_re_us/catholic_town&printer=1;_ylt=AmX1_Ppg9Us_Ycu
b1tPmYgNH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE) -

Pizza Magnate Seeks Catholic-Governed Town

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press WriterWed Mar 1, 2:08 PM ET

If Domino's Pizza founder Thomas S. Monaghan has his way, a new town being
built in Florida will be governed according to strict Roman Catholic
principles,  with no place to get an abortion, pornography or birth control.
The pizza magnate is bankrolling the project with at least $250 million and
calls it "God's will."
Civil libertarians say the plan is unconstitutional and are threatening to
sue.
The town of Ave Maria is being constructed around Ave Maria University, the
first Catholic university to be built in the United States in about 40 years.
Both are set to open next year about 25 miles east of Naples in southwestern
Florida.
The town and the university, developed in partnership with the Barron Collier
 Co., an agricultural and real estate business, will be set on 5,000 acres
with a  European-inspired town center, a massive church and what planners call
the  largest crucifix in the nation, at nearly 65 feet tall. Monaghan envisions
 11,000 homes and 20,000 residents.
During a speech last year at a Catholic men's gathering in Boston, Monaghan
said that in his community, stores will not sell pornographic magazines,
pharmacies will not carry condoms or birth control pills, and cable television
will have no X-rated channels.
Homebuyers in Ave Maria will own their property outright. But Monaghan and
Barron Collier will control all commercial real estate in the town, meaning
they  could insert provisions in leases to restrict the sale of certain items.
"I believe all of history is just one big battle between good and evil. I
don't want to be on the sidelines," Monaghan, who sold Domino's Pizza in 1998
 devote himself to doing good works, said in a recent Newsweek interview.
Robert Falls, a spokesman for the project, said Tuesday that attorneys are
still reviewing the legal issues and that Monaghan had no comment in the
meantime.
"If they attempt to do what he apparently wants to do, the people of Naples
and Collier County, Florida, are in for a whole series of legal and
constitutional problems and a lot of litigation indefinitely into the future,"
warned
Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of
Florida.
Florida Attorney General Charlie Crist said it will be up to the courts to
decide the legalities of the plan. "The community has the right to provide a
wholesome environment," he said. "If someone disagrees, they have the right to
go to court and present facts before a judge."
Gov. Jeb Bush, at the site's groundbreaking earlier this month, lauded the
development as a new kind of town where faith and freedom will merge to create
a  community of like-minded citizens. Bush, a convert to Catholicism, did not
speak  specifically to the proposed restrictions.
"While the governor does not personally believe in abortion or pornography,
the town, and any restrictions they may place on businesses choosing to locate
 there, must comply with the laws and constitution of the state and federal
governments," Russell Schweiss, a spokesman for the governor, said Tuesday.
Frances Kissling, president of the liberal Washington-based Catholics for a
Free Choice, likened Monaghan's concept to Islamic fundamentalism.
"This is un-American," Kissling said. "I don't think in a democratic society
you can have a legally organized township that will seek to have any kind of
public service whatsoever and try to restrict the constitutional rights of
citizens."
___
On the Net:
Ave Maria University: http://www.naples.avemaria.edu