[lit-ideas] Re: portraits of angry Jesus

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:08:09 -0500

Eric,
Where's the rest of it?
Carol
_______

It's mouldering in my desk drawer. Strange how old writing looks so
alien, all the weird word choices and stratagems, stuff you'd do
differently eight years later, things you thought were cute at the time
but now seem labored. "Fusby Puppyshins," for example is the NYT art
critic. What was I thinking? Why did I even post that scene yesterday?

The novel is set in NY in the late '80s, during the "Art Market Crash,"
and covers a week. I used days of the week instead of chapters--Friday
through Friday.

One of the themes--you know, those guiding principles you discover after
you finish writing the thing--is that failures of imagination are
failures of love. There's a Taoist rocker who burns little verses on a
rooftop, but can't concentrate long enough to complete the visualization
of the Seven Stars. There's an angry Baptist minister who does a
disastrous job of rape counseling. Jesus is also a supporting character
in the story and shows up late on Thursday night, more to reprimand the
reader than anything else.

Onward,
Eric