[lit-ideas] Re: plea

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 12:13:22 -0700

Inspired by Julie's question, but not answering it:

The Odyssey (although Penelope doesn't believe Odysseus is dead)

The Return of Martin Guerre (This doesn't have all the elements Julie asks for, but, hell, it's about 'returning soldiers.')

<http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-return-of-martin-guerre/1029261/synopsis>

Sommersby (an American film, based loosley on Martin Guerre)

<http://www.moviefone.com/movie/sommersby/7714/synopsis>

Robert Paul
The Mutton Institute

I know there is a good deal of literature out there (autobiographies, novels, etc.) in which the scenario is essentially thus: happily married couple, husband (usually goes off to war) is killed. Woman grieves and comes to terms. Later in life remarries happily, one day dead husband turns up alive."

What I don't know is, absent specific titles, how to go about finding it. Anyone familiar with good examples of this basic story-line?