[lit-ideas] palæo-Griceians

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:37:55 -0400 (EDT)

In "Re: Ariskant", D. McEvoy: "Popper is  very much a Kantian and an
anti-Hegelian (indeed Popper's philosophy may be  understood as an updated
Kantianism - one that takes into account Einstein,  Darwin and Frege and the
implication that 'all knowledge is conjectural'; and  many of Popper's key
philosophical arguments in the theory of knowledge are  Kantian)."

D. McEvoy does not use "neo-Kantian". It may do, though, to  revisit what
makes Kant a "palæo-Kantian" (or Kantian simpliciter) and  Popper a
neo-Kantian (or an updated Kantian) or Grice a neo-Aristotelian, for  that
matter. I
love those romantic labels.

But back to Grice's "Kantotle" (J. Bennett entitled his review of the Grice
 festschrift, Philosophical Grounds of Rationality: Intentions, Categories,
Ends"  PGRICE -- in the Times Literary Supplement: "In the tradition of
Kantotle") I  think what unites Kantotle (or Kant with Aristotle, Ariskant) is
the idea of  _category_ which is missing in Plato.

Yet, there are more similarities between Plato and Aristotle as Popper
thinks -- Alan Code has tried to formalise those divergences and similarities
in  Griceian key -- R. B. Jones has been working on this).

As per the subject-line: a few authors call themselves neo-Griceians.  By
sticking to the "palæo-" I think we are doing best.

Cheers,

Speranza