[lit-ideas] Re: one of Exit Ghost's political points

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 18:33:09 -0230

Quoting Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> IC:
> >>Disillusionment is just divesting one's self of illusions.
>
> Well, yes, by definition, I guess.
>
> >>Illusions in my opinion are built on sadness and anger.
>
> Really?  I'd say they're mostly built on beliefs that have little or no
> relationship to reality.  What the hell reality is, I have no idea.  But if
> something doesn't work, it's probably not anchored in reality.  That's a
> transcendental truth, just ask Walter.

Walter: He's here for the asking. (I'm wondering, though, whether Mike really
means "[I]f something doesn't work, it's probably not anchored in reality" or
whether he actually intends: "If its not anchored in reality, then it probably
doesn't work." Or could it be that both conditional statements assert the same
propoposition? Some of my Education students insist there is no real difference
between a sufficient and a necessary condition. They must be right since they're
scoring As in all their other courses in the Faculty (or so they aver.)

Permit me to raise a couple of questions:

Question 1: Is N. America getting the school teachers it deserves?

Question 2: Assuming that philosophy should continue to be a required component
of teacher pre-service education, what should the course be about? What skills,
habits, norms, habits, dispositions and judgments should a philosophy in
education course attenmpt to instill? Or, is this the wrong kind of question to
ask?

Walter O.
Hintikka Professor of Bi-conditionality
Salzburg School of Hairstyling and Design
Austria, EU

P.S. Yes, I know I have one "po" too many. (Sehr lustig in German. Noise for the
rest of the audience.)