[lit-ideas] Re: not as much about what you know but when (n d cusa)

  • From: palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:34:31 +0200

once again "you know me I know you" is not, has nothing to do with
justified true beliefs, e.g. I may know x (an individual, my pet tiger,
your wife) having an infinity of false beliefs with the subject matter of
x. no matter what one thinks nobody (to my knowledge, barring imbeciles
etc.) has the view that you may know that f, when f encodes a false
proposition

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Walter O. wrote:
>
> "Some philosophy simply articulates common knowledge."
>
> But, to say that some philosophy 'simply articulates' is to belie the
> extent to which any attempt to theorize understanding is to give a
> shape or form that was not there before. As Kant puts it, reason
> schematizes understanding in order to produce ideas of reason, which
> are therefore necessarily steps further removed from the validity
> given by experience. 'Knowing me, knowing you' is an experience many
> of us are familiar with, but it isn't clear to me how a theory of JTB
> is a familiar experience to anyone.
>
> This is not a criticism of JTB but of claims that philosophy can
> somehow clear up or clarify experience and understanding. So many
> philosophers are not content with being members of the lower
> faculties, but aspire to the higher.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Phil

palma,  e TheKwini, KZN