[lit-ideas] Re: "no pun intended" -- whose copyright -- and different 'implicatures'

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 05:48:51 EDT

I notice that there is only _one_ collocation, in the whole  OED, for the
expression,

                 "no pun intended"

in the entry for 'jump'. It is used in a magazine "Black  World" of 1971:

          "We worry over horsepower (no pun intended)
         and power  steering, fashionable jump suits
         and Afro  haircuts. (Apr. 38/2)

Perhaps R. Paul could explain that to me.

Cheers,

JL