[lit-ideas] Re: maureen dowd {was, men are useless}

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:03:55 +0000

Thursday, December 22, 2005, 4:50:34 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

PS> Here is an article about Dowd's book:

PS> http://www.triangle.com/books/zane/story/2860596p-9317087c.html

PS> This basically says EVERYTHING I tried to say about her a couple of days
ago.

I haven't read the book and suspect I won't.  But I do have comments
on Peder Zane based on Dowd's NYT Times piece and also a general
comment, with which I'll begin.

General:  that people dislike Dowd (and they certainly do) doesn't
mean she's wrong in this instance.  (And it would be good if they
didn't try to justify an attack on _Are Men Necessary_ by explaining
their dislike... -- to be fair, Peder Zane doesn't only do that.)

 PZ>Her main point is that modern women just want to be girls

 that's a funny way of putting it

 PZ>Dowd's notions about the retreat from feminism are not dead wrong

 to put it mildly

PZ>So here's my New Year's resolution: I vow to lighten up
PZ>and take Maureen Dowd on her terms, always remembering
PZ>that a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

oh yeah sure...

Dowd isn't any kind of serious analyst of feminism or women's
comdition but the NY Times piece was not that bad; it's been so bashed
by Dowd-haters that it's almost impossible to say that

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx