[lit-ideas] Re: losers

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:10:52 +0100

That would be "no longer includes *only* the catastrophic connotations" etc.

Getting old in Tunis, MN

Gratuitous poetry:

From "Keeping Going" by Seamus Heaney
That scene, with Macbeth helpless and desperate
In his nightmare -- when he meets the hags again
And sees the apparitions in the pot --
I felt at home with that one, all right. Hearth,
Steam and ululation, the smoky hair
Curtaining a cheek. "Don't go near bad boys
In that college your bound for. Do you hear me?
Do you hear me speaking to you? Don't forget!"
And then the potstick quickening the gruel,
The steam crown swirled, everything intimate
And fear-swathed brightening for a moment,
Then going dull and fatal and away.