[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas]Indian dogs

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:26:28 -0700

You are drifting, Andreas.  Think "Dominant."  I used that word.  I said
that if you have a DOMINANT dog you must show it that you are the boss, or
else he, being DOMINANT, will take over.  I never said that all dogs need
this sort of treatment.  None of the last four dogs I've had have needed
that sort of treatment.  None of them challenged either of us.  In fact a
German Shorthaired Pointer, Heidi, was overly timid and needed a lot of
reassurance and reinforcement.

My 3-year old Ginger was similar to Heidi.  Heidi ended up about 60 pounds
whereas Ginger (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) is 80 pounds, but as a puppy she was
always groveling before other dogs she wanted to play with her.  She has
never barked at the front door nor shown the slightest inclination to be
either a watch or a guard dog.  Heidi would bark when someone came to the
front door, but not Ginger.  I've used similar reinforcing techniques with
Ginger.  She doesn't need to be dominated.  She needs to be reassured and
supported.

My youngest is a 1-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback named Sage.  She is
different from Ginger in that she doesn't grovel before other dogs and she
will bark when she hears a strange sound, but she didn't need to be
dominated either.  How do I know?  When I come over to give her attention
she rolls over on her back; so I rub her belly.  She has no intention of
challenging me.  When we are out on the river and she hears or smells
something challenging; she runs over and gets behind me.  Ginger seems a
little more confident nowadays.  I suspect that Sage will become more
confident as time goes on, but the three of us function as a team down at
the river - more or less.  They are off leash and free to chase rabbits, but
it is there responsibility to catch up with me.  I carry the water and
occasionally call a halt so we can all drink.  I also decide when it is time
to go back to the Jeep.  Everything works very well.

Lawrence