[lit-ideas] Re: housekeeping

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:47:53 -0700

On Jul 15, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Julie Krueger wrote:

My stepdaughter, when she was 14 or so, refused to eat bananas because of the seeds in them. Seeds? Bananas have seeds?? She tried to show them to me. I've never been able to look at one or read the word w/out thinking of her picking at the bananas trying to remove what were to me utterly invisible items.

Here's info on banana strings:

The strings left when you peel a banana are either vascular (conducting) tissues or bundles of soft fibers (support tissue). If I were a really good botanist I'd be able to cite a publication on banana fruits but I can't.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon