[lit-ideas] Re: health care in the US

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:18:05 EST

<<if that is a
doctor's made a home  visit.>>
Doctor house calls died out at least  50 years ago......  if you're entirely
to sick to drive to the Dr., you  have to call an ambulance.  To the tune of a
couple thousand  dollars.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: health care in
the US  Date: 1/30/06 10:42:45 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
I can see one of my primary care doctors the same  day
I phone up -- if I phone at 8.30 in the morning -- or
by booking up to  a week ahead.  Same day, no guarantee
it will be my first choice of  doctor, though the last
2 times, it has been.

(They'd never send a  non-repeat prescription without
seeing me.)

>And then you drag your  fevered body to the pharmacy
>to cough up the $150 for the antibiotic.

one pharmacy here will call and collect a prescription
for me and  return it filled -- free, if that is a
doctor's made a home visit.
(The  NHS is their main source of prescription fee
income, so they compete for  custom.)

The Welsh hospital system is in less good  shape..

Judy Evans, Cardiff

Win a  BlackBerry device from O2 with Yahoo!. Enter now.
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry