[lit-ideas] foot massage

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 18:40:29 +0100 (BST)

Speranza concluded the Footian dilemma ["A trolley is running out of control
down a track. In its path  are five people who have been tied to the track by a
mad philosopher.  Fortunately, you could flip a switch, which will lead the
trolley down a  different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single
person tied to that  track. Should
you flip the switch or do nothing?"] thus:

> Clearly, the driver should divert the trolley and kill one worker
> rather than five.

We can't bring our selves to agree (however much effort we put (into it)). The
cake doesn't taste any better if only one person eats it (rather than five).
Besides, is this not (really) about the state of the subjet? If s/he is
cont(ing)ent, what would be the reasons to intervene?

Doxically,
phatic
longstreet institute of higher learning