[lit-ideas] Re: flying has a relationship with rolling

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:29:38 -0700

Geary of course doesn’t really mean “Who gives a flying fuck why the Civil War
was fought?”  Having lived most of his life in the South he knows perfectly
well that huge numbers of Southerners are still interested in the Civil War.
Equal numbers of Northerners are as well.   I once interfaced with a civilian
working at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.  He once told me he
wouldn’t be available for a while inasmuch as he was taking leave to
participation in a battle re-enactment.  I questioned him in amazement as he
described to me his uniform and the other things he’d carry about with him and
do during that reenactment.

I don’t have the impression that blood is shed during these reenactment
outings, except accidentally as when someone forgets to remove his rifle-rod
from his muzzle loader during target practice but Southerners dress up as
Confederate soldiers and Northerners dress up as Union soldiers.  Here in
California we have an American Civil War Society which does reenactments when
everyone walks about in Civil War garb looking cool:   See
<http://www.acws.net/units.htm> http://www.acws.net/units.htm  I don’t know how
sides are chosen.

So what does Geary really mean?  I invariably guess wrong but perhaps Speranza
can help us out a little more.  Speculating about what Geary means is one of
his favorite hobbies.

Lawrence

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM, <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 6/7/2012 4:08:41 A.M. UTC-02,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Who gives a flying fuck why the Civil  War was fought?

Note that the question is rhetoric, seing that L. Helm is sharing with the
list his interpretation, in counterfactive terms, of why and how the Civil
War  was fought.

Plus, what does _flying_ to do with it?

Cheers,

Speranza