[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine/WW1

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:37:55 -0700

> Here's a stunning number from Roy Porter, "The Greatest Benefit to Mankind;
> A Medical History of Humanity."  One quarter of the population of Samoa died
> in the 1918 epidemic.

A similarly virulent flu today would be far more destructive. Our world is much
more
interconnected, more crowded, more dense. There were only 50 million people in
the USA in
the 1910s. Nowadays, there's nearly 300 million. NYC, LA, Chicago are vast
regional areas.
The mega-cities of India, China, Mexico and so on would be vast breeding
grounds for
infection and transmission.

yrs,
andreas