[lit-ideas] Re: death

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 18:49:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2009 4:47:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Maybe JLS can refresh us with a discussion of
Borges's story "The Zahir," which has relevance
here. Maybe Dawkins and  Hitchens are asking us to
sell our sense of mystery for a  Zahir?

----

I should try, but not to much avail. In Burgin's book  of conversations
with Borges, Borges notes that he 'took the word from _Modern  Egyptians_, or
perhaps from Burton'. He says he built the story around a Buenos  Aires
idiom, I would think, one of the many hyperboles of ordinary speech (that  Grice
would analyse via conversational implicature). In this case, Borges says,
the word is

'inolvidable'

"unforgettable" -- in every way. Borges Sr. was a lecturer  of Jamesian
psychology in the University of Buenos Aires (Department of Modern  Languages,
on Calle Pellegrini I'm so familiar with), so I'm sure the ultimate  source
was a Lockean account of memory as it interacts with questions of
'identity'.

While the OED gives no hits, wiki does:

"In Arabic, zahir ( ظاهر ) is an active participle
    with meanings denoting apparent, visible, obvious,
    manifest, surface, exoteric, exterior, literal,
    superficial, etc. Al-Zahir is a name of God, the
    Manifest, paired with al-Batin, the  Concealed."

Cheers,

JLS

   Donal McEvoy: another example of contingency or accident would  be not
David
Ritchie's example of his wife's acquaintance, but  Wittgenstein's brother:
he
   lacked an arm. Surely that was accidental.

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)