[lit-ideas] cond

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 06:06:27 +0000

This is false. Wittgenstein in one of his few lucid moments, gave us the tools
to verify. At a minimum an indicative conditional is verifiable by truth
tables. I am unsure of what the question is. It may still be argued –many
do—that subjunctives are a different set of conditions, Bob Stalnaker proposed
a fiction view, known as ‘Ersatz’ conditions. Others have more demanding
theories, the celebrated ones are theories of counterfactuals. While some idiot
will claim that there are no counterfactuals, it would be useful to be reminded
that causality relies on counterfactuality only. Other deeper idiots claim
there are no causes but ‘conjunctions’, they are not worth the computer time to
answer.