[lit-ideas] Re: cartoons

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:02:25 -0500

Eric Yost wrote:

"Phil, this time you are as wrong as wrong can be."

Oh my.  That is really wrong!

Eric continues:

"Bombhead Muhammed is particularly apt. It asks, 'Why do some Muslims
hide their use of C-4 behind the Prophet?'"

The cartoon, of course, asks no such thing.  It is a picture of Mohammad
with a bomb on his head.  I am sure Eric can, with a tilting of the head
and squinting of eyes, get such a question out of the picture, but that
is quite a bit of work.  Too much, in my opinion.  If it is about
Muslims, why does it only picture the Prophet?  If it is about hiding,
then why is the bomb openly displayed on the Prophet's head?  The more
natural reading would be to connect the bomb with Mohammad.  So we have
a picture of someone who is not to be pictured, clearly being associated
with terrorism.  That is, what can the cartoon be saying except
'Mohammad is a terrorist and here is a picture of Mohammad, so fuck
you!'  Nothing artistic about that, and certainly not anything remotely
civilized.

Eric concludes:

"Shame on a culture that is so brittle and repressive it cannot take
satire and deal with the outrage of being shown its worst side."

I agree that the response from Muslims evidences a thinness of culture.
A more appropriate response would have been to recognize it for what it
is, an adolescent 'Fuck you!', and then move on.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON