[lit-ideas] Re: ...but "I" /meant/ well

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 14:44:13 -0700

On 9/4/13 12:41 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

Memphising along without any motives at all.

Torgeir wrote

    " Nietzsche denies that we can ever know the intentions of any other
    human being. In fact, Nietzsche emphasizes the relative unimportance
    of conscious thinking, "consciousness is a surface," in favor of
    subconscious thinking and instincts. Hence, Nietzsche argues, not
    only can we not know the motives of other individuals, we cannot
    even know our own motives. This is a frequent theme in Nietzsche's
    writings, for example, "the most common lie is the lie one tells to
    oneself; lying to others is relatively the exception." "

and Mike asked

> Yeah, but why did Nietzsche say that?  Hey?  That's the question.

That seems the right question. Was Nietzsche reporting on an experiment he'd conducted in which he found that we can't know the intentions of others or even our own intentions? Unlikely. This would need some way to view what I thought I intended and what I _really_ intended side-by-side, to see that they differ; but the futility of this, given Nietzsche's claim is obvious; I cannot make such a comparison, for I have no way of knowing what my 'real' intention is.

Motives are not intentions, although they may be cousins. I intend to read Pope's Essay on Criticism, but my motive for doing so is to get a higher mark in my 18th Century literature course.

Finally, intentionality, as it's been discussed here, is a different notion than the notion of intentionality used in discussing or examining intentional behaviour.

Sorry to have gone on so long.

Robert Paul