[lit-ideas] Re: aretê - Greek for virtue (was: Query)

  • From: Walter Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:45:52 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Richard Henninge wrote:
spin
> The virtue Kant is talking about in the Critique of Practical Reason is very
> similar to this Greek ideal.
snip

Richard may be overstating the case in this remark. I would have thought
that on Kant's moral theory distinctively moral virtue ("the good will")
is fundamentally  different from the other virtues, and from other
conceptions of "virtue," in that it is characterized by a willing from a
sense of duty to respect the autonomy of personhood. On this deontic
conception, an action or disposition may be virtuous without necessarily
being morally virtuous. I don't think the Greek "aretaic" view had a
conception of "morality" or "moral virtue" in Kant's modern sense.

Sincerely yours (ah, there's an example of a virtue that is not always a
moral virtue) and still deliberating on Phil's reply to me on the
"moral/intellectual virtue" thread,

Walter Okshevsky
Memorial U