[lit-ideas] Re: agnotology

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:08:36 -0700

On Apr 20, 2011, at 4:11 PM, John Wager wrote:

> As a general reply to the entire threat, not just RP's response, may I offer
> the observation that marriage affects agontology greatly.
>
> Just today, I have had the experience of being asked at least three times if
> I'm sure that I know that I know that I (a) took out the trash, (b) was
> careful not to spill any yellow paint on the cabinet fronts being re-stained
> by my wife in the basement, and (c) called the man about the deck repair.
> Such experiences are probably the most common example of whether just
> "knowing" or having to "KNOW that you know" are more than just academic
> exercises.

And the answer in each instance was?  I confess complete ignorance re. why men
always have to take out trash, why women should be experts in the not-spilling
of yellow paint, and why either sex (or gender) should be given sole charge of
that most critical of tasks, namely trying to ensure that a sufficient trail of
cheese and wine has been laid on the gravel path to the front door such that
repair persons may be enticed to come in.

David Ritchie,
realizing (thanks be to Geary) that his condenser may need cleaning in
Portland, Oregon