[lit-ideas] Re: Wu wei

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:07:11 -0500

Funny coincidence.  I was speaking about this in class the other day.
 It is part of Lao-tze's defense of inaction as a way to get things done
without disturbing the grain of the universe.  Water has many other
desirable properties for this demonstration.  It seeks the lowest
places.  It floats things along unless they struggle and fight against
it.  It is soft and unobtrusive and adaptable, yet can carve canyons for
itself through solid rock.  It is supple, yet strong: the very virtues
of wu-wei.

Reminds me also of Buffy Sainte Marie's line from a song whose name I
can't recall just at the moment:
I was an oak.  Now, I'm a willow.  Now I can bend.

The Confucians, of course, called the Taoists 'irresponsible hermits.'

Ursula
in North Bay