[lit-ideas] Wormholes and Lewis Carroll

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:42:36 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I did some research, and it was very easy.   I got a lot of information, a =
regular education.  I narrowed it down to Lewis Carroll Wormholes Michio Ka=
ku and got this interview that Michio Kaku gave Stephen Marshall in 2001.  =
It's quite lengthy, and I am pasting below only the section specifically re=
garding his statements about Lewis Carroll and worm holes.  The other sites=
 I found have more, and perhaps better, information on black holes and worm=
 (Google, lewis carroll black holes).  I am not sure wheher Michio is impos=
ing worm holes on Carroll's book (the John Lennon phenomenon that Robert Pa=
ul mentioned), or whether Lewis Carroll did in fact come up with the idea o=
r a form of it.  A bit of a coincidence, Lewis Carroll was a mathematician.=
  In any case, the link is below. =20

http://www.greatmystery.org/interviewmk.html

Now, the mathematics of a curved bed sheet is pretty, pretty mean.  You wou=
ld have to have what is called tensor calculus to be able to describe the c=
urvature of a bed sheet.  But the concept is simple.  It is nothing but ant=
s walking on a bed sheet.  So, in other words, the human mind in some sense=
 can grasp some of the deepest understanding of nature  - among them, wormh=
oles.  Now when we think about wormholes, we think about science fiction an=
d Star Trek and stuff.  But that is not where the concept of wormholes was =
first introduced.  It was first introduced about 150 years ago in Oxford, E=
ngland. There was a young professor of higher mathematics at Oxford who kne=
w about what are called multiply connected spaces.  Think of two sheets of =
paper that are joined at the hip like two Siamese twins.  That=E2=80=99s a =
wormhole.  Take a sheet of paper and bend it.  Fold it in half.  Fold it in=
 the third dimension.  Fold the sheet of paper in hyperspace.  That=E2=80=
=99s called a wormhole. Well these are called multiply connected spaces by =
mathematicians and Charles Dodgson, a professor of mathematics, wanted to w=
rite a children=E2=80=99s book that conveyed these things because adults, o=
f course, could not understand or even want to understand a multiply connec=
ted space.  So he created Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass=
. =20