[lit-ideas] Wittgenstein: The Unshowable

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:05:03 -0400 (EDT)

E. T. Gendlin,  from

http://www.focusing.org/gendlin5.html

"There is nothing  ineffable or unspeakable about what Wittgenstein showed."

"And, of course  he said what he showed."

"One can say more in many further ways
(for  example with the words in my parentheses),
but only by "naked saying", i.e.  without covering it
with a theoretical version which _then_ claims to be  what we _really_
said."

"Such a substitutional explanation [may be] the
only saying that is made impossible by what Wittgenstein
showed", even  if I disagree (*).

Cheers,

Speranza

----- Interesting ref.  to scalar implicature by Richard H.

--

* Cfr.

from:

http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/wittgenstein/section1.rhtml

"Wittgenstein  draws an important distinction between saying and showing."

-- this  distinction does not seem to have a base in Graeco-Roman
philosophy. The Latin  concept of 'dictiveness', for the 'sayable', may apply.
But it
is more  controversial to find a Graeco-Roman equivalent to 'show':
De-MONSTRATIO perhaps  a good candidate, if not perfect.

"While a proposition *says* that
such-and-such fact is the case, it
*shows* the logical form by virtue  of
which this fact is the case."

---

"The upshot of this  distinction is that we can only say things about facts
in the world; logical  form cannot be spoken about, only shown."

"Because logical form shows  itself and cannot be spoken about, there is no
need for the so-called logical  objects, the connecting glue between
different propositions that plays a central  role in the logic of Frege and
Russell."

"Wittgenstein asserts that most  philosophical confusion arises from trying
to speak about things that can only  be shown."