[lit-ideas] Re: Wind Farms (and Unesco sites...)

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:00:26 -0500

I was in Glasgow a few Aprils ago and was mightily disappointed in the accents. Not a one sounded like a lovely Scots lady I knew here in the Bay. I guess she was from the Highlands...Funny how we romanticize things just to disappoint ourselves, Did a day trip to New Lanark...in the rain...but worth every minute...also Loch Lomond...oddly, just a lake...of which we have so many in Northern Ontario.

After seeing New lanark, I dragged my southern Indiana sister to New Harmony to see the end of the story.

Anybody else keeping a life list of Unesco sites visited? We could compare notes...

Ursula
in decidedly un-Unesco North Bay

Judith Evans wrote:

--- david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Having watched a bit of "From Russia With Love"
yesterday evening, I can remind you that young Sean Connery and the
current incarnation speak very differently indeed. No sibilant "s" in
the young Bond's elegant words. So no only must Julia come to terms
with the variety of Scottish accents, but also their deliberately or
unconsciously changed thin or thick Ness.

I can't remember the young Connery!, but yes. I've known Glaswegians who hardly sounded Scottish at all, and know a slightly Morningside Edinburgh person.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com