[lit-ideas] Re: Why Others Didn't Help...some notions

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:50:01 -0400

One joke, which I offered a while ago, speaks to national character.

Two Brazilians are sitting on a dune at Santos, looking out at the winter sea. They notice a Frenchman, an American, and a Brazilian walking on the beach near the chilly surf.

One Brazilian says to the other: "I bet you 50 Reais I can persuade these guys to jump in the cold water."

"You're on."

So the Brazilian runs down the beach and whispers something to each of the three people. One after another, they jump in the water.

"Pay up."

"But how did you do that? What did you say?"

"I told the Frenchman that it was considered stylish to jump in the ocean. I told the American that it was the law to jump in the ocean. And I told the Brazilian that it was forbidden."

_______

Relevant moral of the joke: Control society. Nobody gave the Americans permission to take bullhorns and help. Nobody told the State Patrol it was okay to allow those who wanted to help come in. Those who said screw authority and spontaneously tried to help were probably more spiritually Brazilian than American.