[lit-ideas] Re: Which thinker/writer had the greatest personality defects?

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 14:47:02 -0400

At 12:29 PM 5/6/2004, you wrote:
>I know of nobody else in the 20th century who took philosophy as
>seriously: Love of wisdom. Regardless of where it came from, regardless
>of what it looked like, if it seemed "wise" then Russell at least
>considered it. That's enough. (One does not, much to my dismay, always,
>or even usually, possess what one loves....)

Yes, hence my label for Russell --> philosophologist. He was a devoted
student and sometime practictioner, but I think giving him the moniker
"philosopher" a bit misleading. Hell, _I'M_ a philosopher by your
definition as a lover of wisdom. I can look at both sides of the same
argument and agree with both. I don't consider myself a philosopher --
unless you feed me 12+ beers.*

*Note: Must be NON-American beer. I can drink that swill [eek!] all night
and not get the least bit filosofical.

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx