[lit-ideas] Re: Where's Hitchcock when you need him?

  • From: "JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:07:28 -0500

What brand of birds are these?

Julie Krueger

On 4/4/07, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I told you already that we have two bird families building nests in the
eves on opposite sides of the house. In addition to the fact that I don't
particularly like birds, they make such a mess.  They ripped off the molding
on one side, plus the inevitable circle of bird droppings under the nest,
plus I have to keep washing bird poop off the windows.  Anyway, this morning
I'm lying in bed and the birds are going crazy.  So loud.  They kept waking
me up.  I'm thinking, as soon as the chicks are hatched and gone I'm getting
an exterminator.  So, I get up, mosey into the kitchen, and in the room off
the kitchen (the one I was in in the picture), I look and there's a bird
thrashing around on the inside trying to get out the window.  I said, oh
no.  There are ten windows in that room (because of the pretty view on the
side and all the woods in the back we turned the deck into a year-round
porch or sun room; we spend all our time in there) but the screens are those
Anderson things, they don't just open.  So I flung the door open, ran
downstairs to get a broom to guide it, ran back up.  By then the bird flew
into the living room and was thrashing around in my big fig tree.  In the
living room the windows are the old fashioned double hungs so I opened one
up.  The terrified little thing (actually it was a pretty decent sized bird)
flew across the room and landed behind the blinds in the picture part of the
window.  I kept manipulating the blinds to get it to the open window but it
kept escaping anything I did.  I then opened another window and still no
luck.  Finally I raised the blinds and at that point it must have sensed the
open window next to it and it flew out.  Well, okay, it wasn't that
exciting, but it's as much excitement as I like.

We've had birds in the house before.  I came home once in the late 90's
and my other cat greeted me, and if that cat could talk, she would have
said, you won't believe what she's got in there, meaning my current cat who
was a kitten then.  Sure enough, I went into the bedroom and my cat had a
bird cornered on the floor, just getting ready to pounce.  I yelled at her
and my cat took off.  The bird was fortunately unhurt and I maneuvered it
outside also.

Hopefully no more excitement, and I guess no exterminator either.