[lit-ideas] Re: Where There's a Will There's a Way (PunIntended)

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:20:56 -0400

I don't understand your cryptic comment, but I was responding to David
Ritchie's post that the populace will oppose changing horses in mid stream,
even if that horse is dead.  And he's right.  They'll pull it off and the
Republican know nothings/do nothings will retain the majority, on the fine
job they're doing on security no less.  Give me a reason to think
otherwise.  FYI, the military, says Ricks, claims to not be reading his
book Fiasco, even if there's reason to think that secretly they are reading
it.  Does that strike you as kind of weird, a tad high schoolish?  This is
our military playing games.

For Eric, assuming that Clinton did all that cutting, did Rumsfeld et al.
not know it before they started a completely gratuitous, unnecessary war?
Why did they not prepare?  In fact, why did they actively demand a tiny
force for their new and improved military services that were *supposed* to
be mechanized and with minimal soldiers?  The Army laughed at their initial
request and they reluctantly agreed to more troops.  How do  you explain an
expectation of being greeted with flowers?  No planning whatsoever to the
point that they literally didn't know who they were invading except goody
goody they were going to be liberators?  This is all Clinton's fault?  Read
one of the many books that are out now, Ricks, Suskind, Galbraith,
Woodward.  Paraphrasing Robert Paul, Eric, what do you know that we don't
know?  Also, this WWII comparison is ludicrous.  We fought WWII with
something like 40% of the GDP and everyone contributed.  We're fighting
this war with something like 4% of the GDP and nobody's contributing,
including the president who cuts taxes (a wartime precedent) and goes on
vacation.  Ever hear of passing the buck?