[lit-ideas] What's _not_ in a name

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:56:42 EDT

   Omar: A cat is not a 'name.'
   Donal: What? You may be sure I meant
         the term 'cat' is a name of the object cat?
         Is this not true? Why?

In a message dated 4/20/2004 7:42:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I am ever grateful to JL for preserving my lectures.  He will be revered by
future generations.
Oh, My pleasure. May I take this opportunity to point out to possible sources
of misinterpretation:

(i) The title of the lectures was "What's _not_ in a name" (a pun on
Shakespeare). It's part of _theologia negativa_ -- you shall know the tree by
its
nonfruits.

(ii) More substantially: what looks like a typo in the transcript:

    "This distinction, between name and noun,
     was lost by the Greeks -- and the Romans --
     but not the English".

-- sic with "lost _by_," and not the more idiomatic "lost _on_". I remember
raising the point to Geary:

       "How can a distinction be lost _by_ the Romans
       if they never had it -- in the first place? Don't you
       mean 'lost on'?" His reply rings on me as a clear
       bell: "Well said. But, how can it be _lost on_ unless
       it's previously _lost by_?"

Meanwhile, there are still people (sects) who think 'cat' is the name of cat.

A further argument against Donal's inconsistencies (his thesis: 'cat' is a
name) is that we never say, "Cat is on mat" -- at least not after the
Paleolithic.

Cheers,

JL