[lit-ideas] Re: What would Wittgenstein do?

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:09:13 -0500

Mike Geary wrote:

I have a question for the philosophers on this list. A serious question -- no, that's not oxymoronic with me: it regards the meaning of 'will' as used by Kant and Nietzsche and Schopenhauer and, hell, just about every one of those thought workers. I've never been sure what they're talking about when they say "will".

Here's a short, quick attempt:
"Wishing" is not really an action; it's just thinking. But to "will" something requires doing something. If I do not actually take steps toward something, it's not willing it.

Further, to "will" something is to do it deliberately, after reflection or thought. Right now, my left foot is resting on top of my right foot. I "did" this, but I didn't think about it before I did it. But I just thought about moving my right hand up to my cheek to scratch an itch. The second action was "willed" where the first one was not. So to "will" something for Kant requires one to think about what one is doing before doing it. If one just acts out of habit, it's not strictly "willed."

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx
Forest Park, IL, USA